Friday, January 09, 2009

PENANG NO 3.- CHOWRASTA AS THE BOOKS' HEAVEN












This first floor of Chowrasta is heaven for me and i am sure, for many others. But somehow it has become a hidden treasure, which in time, will fade.this is my favourite bookstore in the whole wide world. I didn't know MPH, Kinokuniya,or Borders back then. (they are new anyway) This is a place where I spent my weekends with my dad, when i was a kid. almost all my Enid Blyton books are from here. My Archie's Comics were also from here. my first Mills and Boons (taboo!) was also bought sorok2 from here.This was the place i came searching for my law books,and i still remember my mom came looking for her nursing books here too.i got all my Judith Mcnaught from here and first read Anne Rice, because one of the uncle's there suggested the book to me.

There is nothing u cant fine here. when i started working in Penang, i needed to read on Economics..i was so blurr at that time, and needed to absorb as much as possible,fast.So of course i went to the best!

The owners of these 9 shops, know their books, know the authors and can even suggest books for you. They are kinda quiet in the beginning but if u have something that you are looking for, name it. when i was looking for my law books..they can asked simply -- TORts? Contract? and they know what are textbooks, what are good reads! they can be trusted.They even know where the books are exactly in the stacks that seemed unorganized to the untrained eye. and can even ask questions that can throw you overboard like--WHAT EDITION? hahaah..(aku dah kena)

When i balik kampung back for raya in October 2008, of course i visited the place. Sadly, the place was quiet and had not many visitors. one of the owner said that he is worried who will take over the shop as his children are not interested in this business.i bought some magazines and some V.S. Naipul books.

He old man asked why he has not seen me for a long time and i told him why. I received a English - Japanese Oxford Dictionary from him. terharu sangat.He said its a present, said its a good one as it has sentence example for each word. AND mind you,it is GOOD!

The place also lacks promotion and i think that the Penang Tourism Council should promote 'Book Cave' in Chowrasta more ardently.Most people from outside only visit chowrasta for the jeruk , belacan and lempuk but behold everyone, dont ever miss this place..u can be lost in the musky smell of dry yellow and wrinkly pages and stacks of books..for hours!!

this is definately a place where i want to bring my children to.(when i have them)

all transaction in cash please...bawak beg tarik k..takut tak muat palstik k

2 comments:

mak iti Jr said...

bestnye...sno, jom lah p borong booksssssss!

Anonymous said...

Meen, aku pun kalau pi situ cari buku, tak car jeruk!
Rindunya.. bila la lagi nak pi nih... Huhu
-zaza